6.03.2011

"Do you believe everything the Zoo tells you?"

"That's the only thing the Zoo's ever told me."

Yesterday, we ventured to the Denver Zoo. 15 minutes on the way, I realized I forgot the camera. So here's some pics from a flickr set of other people's visit to the same Denver Zoo. I tried to download pictures that hit on the popular attractions of our day. Then we took some pics of the boys with their presents from their first zoo trip.




By far the hit of the day were the penguins. The boys were able to stand and see over the rock wall and look down at them swimming and were completely aware of the birds as the walked around on their beach and rocks. I think Chase would have stood there for an hour and not realized if anyone was watching him or who else was around.



The second highest ranking animal exhibit, as comprised by both boys votes, were the elephants. The elephants were getting their annual vaccinations so the keeper was distracting one of them and allowing patrons to view her. Cooper and Chase were able to recognize the 7700 pound beast on their own (something that was a challenge when there was an expansive field and we were trying to point out a zebra 80 yards away) As we were pulling up their stroller, both Cooper and Chase were making their arms into trunks and doing their elephant trumpet.

Another fun stop was viewing the camels. Mommy has imitated the one camel who was chewing for the past day so I think that might have been her favorite. (She didn't turn in a ballot)



A closer look at Cooper's ballot, which used a weighted voting system studied by Daddy earlier this week as part of his Discrete Mathematics course development, reveals that he actually had the giraffes ranked first. (or the highest. get it? they're tall.)



Then there were the okapis.









When we return to NY this summer I will be digging out my attendance records and checking to see if I was absent the day brought to me by letter "O." I will also be emailing my high school and college Biology instructors and ask why they would hide the fact that this animal exists from me. This thing is like a real life iPad app that combined different animal parts to create a one of a kind unique pet. I was pretty blown away yesterday seeing these crazy things, but kept my excitement under wraps because it seemed Mel knew what it was and most people were walking by like a deer with bat ears usually morphs into a giraffe from the neck up and a zebra from the waist down. But it's been over 24 hours now and I'm still wondering why the zoo graphic design artist would choose a lion head over a full body color graphic of an okapi. I now also have something to use in my "Opłatki Christmas Rap"

When we returned home, I tried to make up for the fact I forgot the camera by snapping a few pics of the boys with their gift shop haul, a stuffed penguin and a stuffed elephant. (That is the gift shop bag hanging in the background. I was going to photoshop a couple okapis in the background)

Cooper showing how the penguins swam.

They were rested from naps on the way home and were a bit squirrely, as evident by Cooper biting the penguin's beak.
not sure which animal this was.

Not a bad post considering we had no camera, right?

Be sure to check the blog often and see butt is up.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment