4.01.2010

I didn't expect the expected to be like this

So, at some point babies hit milestones. Sure there are and will be major ones; the move to solid foods, first steps, words, smiles, giggles (notice these are all plural. twin parents have to do that.) road trips, play dates, and maybe even getting your thumb cut by nail clippers and screaming bloody murder because your dad doesn't feel bad enough that there was an awful lot of blood. This happened in December and I know Chase is over it. I however am not. Mel does the manicures now.

anyways- back to milestones; babies become more aware of their surroundings and improve their motor skills both fine and gross. of course. I knew this would happen because I am able to grasp things with my hands and look for where a loud noise came from so i expected my kids would at sometime have the same abilities.

What I didn't expect was how mesmerized I would be watching them drop their pacifier, turn to look for it, then roll over towards it, then reach for it, grunt because they can't quite reach it, scoot, grasp it, pull it to their mouth, land it back in place. I have to admit I may have pulled it out of Chase's mouth just to see if what i saw was dumb luck or if he really was doing this.

He was.

I just couldn't believe how purposeful his actions were. Parents of older children may laugh at how simple these tasks are and may be wanting to tell me, just wait. But I don't want to necessarily jump to the next milestone. I'm really digging watching what their doing. This surprises me.

There is often a negative connotation with the word stereotype. Stereotypes are often wrong. I don't mean to promote stereotypes but a baby puts everything in their mouth. that's pretty typical. For example, i would expect some clip art of a baby to include some thumb sucking images. I just never expected how funny and cool it is when i see one of my boys do it. Now, I hope they dont go to 1st grade and suck their thumb on the bus ride there, but for now at 5 and 11/15 months old, I didn't expect how this expected behavior would be so cute to me.

Our babies anxiously open their mouths and expect we will feed them their rice cereal/veggie baby food mix, spoonful after spoonful. Every time I eat yogurt, i do this. But when I'm feeding my boys, it's strange what a kick i get out of them doing it. I never expected that.

I expect there is more I should expect. But for now, i'm enjoying witnessing the expected. wow. I never expected i would ever say that.

No comments:

Post a Comment