3.22.2010

High Chairs and High School

I put the boys' high chairs together Sunday while watching some NCAA Madness and keeping abreast of the health care reform vote.



(cooper getting a test drive)

By the way, my efficiency with putting together things like high chairs, cribs, pack and plays, and toys will be increased as I get to do everything twice. This will also generate twice the amount of styrofoam which I cannot stand. None in the high chair boxes luckily. I should have learned my efficiency would be improved with things in the first few days as Mel was recovering, when I changed a couple dozen diapers a day. So the chairs are assembled and as we started vegetables (sweet potatoes) with their rice cereal I quickly realized a) how crowded the kitchen will be soon b) how fast my ten week leave came and went.

I was back to school (or as most of you call it, work) today. I had the alarm set for 6:20am, a little more than an hour before I have been getting up to feed the boys with mel, before she went off to school. But i didn't shower most mornings. i didn't shower most days actually. so i was nervous about getting up. well i got up at 6:16 today and was afraid if i went back to sleep, the snooze button would get worn out and i would be late my first day back. aside from a minor (could have been major) disaster with the coffee creamer. dry cleaned? not anymore! and the fact my black dress shoes are MIA i was off by 7am. 40-60 min before the boys woke up.

near the end of my commute a small part of me was actually excited to be going to teach again. i love my job and really look forward to classes. of course i count down to friday but i like teachinbg. as a colleague Mark told me the day i returned to work after chase and cooper came home from mcr, "school will still be here."

today, I was really touched when a group of about 7 boys, 5 of whom i have had in class, 2 i have now, came by between 3rd and 4th pd and asked about my leave and how the boys were. This same group was in my room the last day before i left in january. maybe they were just stalling to go to class today, but they seemed genuinely glad i was back in the building. it is b/c of those moments i get that excited feeling on my commute. mark was right. school WAS still here.

that's all for now. time to use these new high chairs. (90% of this was typed with...one hand. cooper woke from the swing and needed the other.)

No comments:

Post a Comment