3.07.2010

They didnt cover this at Baby Class

Part of this post was copied from an email I wrote a friend back in October. I have added some more thoughts.

Melanie and I were finally able to bring Cooper Daniel (5 lb 4 oz, 19 in, born at 6:07pm 10/7/09) and Chase Michael (6 lbs 1 oz, 20.5 in, 6:08 pm, 10/7/09) home Wednesday afternoon (the 14th.) The experience was much, much different than anticipated. During the day Wednesday (the 7th), as they were inducing labor, Melanie's bloodwork had some alarming levels and to make a very long and scary story short, she had preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome. Thanks to the amazing work of our doctor, who made the call early enough to keep everyone safe, and his team of nurses and colleagues the C-section was a success in delivering the boys. I was unable to be in the O.R. It was crowded with nurses for Mel, nurse for each baby, the anesthesiologist, another doctor to assist Dr James, etc. We knew this from earlier appointments, that if there was an emergent situation, this would be the case. So instead, I was told once, and very quickly, to stand outside and I could follow the nurses into the nursery when they came by.

This time was surreal. I remember the feelings and time so vividly. Looking at my watch. Praying. Realizing I was nearly the exact same distance from the O.R as the nursery. Hoping. Only hearing one cry. Looking at my watch. Wondering. Surprised and relieved when the anesthesiologist said we had two beautiful babies as he walked by. Wishing. Thinking Mel needs to be ok, because I cannot raise twins alone. Pointing out to the nurses as they came out who was who. I knew at first look. I followed them into the nursery and was able to watch as they did all the measurements and took vitals. The whole time I thought great, they are healthy and ok, but is Mel? Then they pulled a rocker over and swaddled the boys up and gave them to me. This was really cool.



They could have shackled and handcuffed me to this chair and I would have felt I had a better shot at moving or getting up. I have rarely held one baby in my life and now they toss two to me.

I was wondering if Melanie was ok, and getting really scared I could not do this alone. I mean, I couldn't even move to itch my nose. I really wanted to see Mel. I knew I loved Melanie. This picture reminds me how much i really need her. Not just to raise twins either.

Finally,. the third time I asked, they let me go back to the recovery room. Melanie had some complications during the surgery and was a top priority of nurses during her recovery. She improved slowly through Saturday and her blood levels were either steady or rising. She then had some setbacks with getting up on her feet and fighting pain and some nausea, which was the reason for our extended stay.

our first family photo came eventually:


No comments:

Post a Comment